Friday, November 28, 2008

Freedom of expression in France


It is always so informative to discover that other countries are also struggling with legal issues, with respect to what constitutes curtailment of freedom of expression and free speech.

The doll's light-blue body, which comes with a set of 12 needles and a manual explaining how to put a curse on the president, also features some of Sarkozy's best-known quotes and gaffes: "Work more to earn more" reads one quote, a slogan from Sarkozy's presidential campaign. "Get lost, you poor jerk," reads another, a swipe Sarkozy took at a bystander at a farm fair who refused to shake his hand.

In keeping with the often meticulous nature of French officialdom, the ruling Friday was very specific. The distributor of the dolls, K&B Editions, was ordered to write the notice that will be distributed with the doll in black block-lettering and it must say exactly this: "It was ruled that the encouragement of the reader to poke the doll that comes with the needles in the kit, an activity whose subtext is physical harm, even if it is symbolic, constitutes an attack on the dignity of the person of Mr. Sarkozy."

Indeed. Vive la liberté d'expression! And let Adam Smith's invisible hand of the free market deliver some well-deserved jabs to those deserving pricks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful items from you, man. I've consider your stuff previous to and you're
simply too fantastic. I really like what you have
acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and
the way by which you say it. You're making it entertaining and you continue to take care of to keep it smart. I can't wait to read far more
from you. This is actually a great web site.

My site :: france holiday today

Anonymous said...

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to return the choose?
.I am attempting to to find issues to enhance my web site!
I guess its adequate to use some of your concepts!
!

Here is my site ... luxe vakantiehuisje frankrijk

Anonymous said...

Hello, this weekend is pleasant for me, for the reason that this point in
time i am reading this enormous educational paragraph here at my home.


My webpage :: vakantiehuisje frankrijk [http://vakantiehuisjefrankrijk.jigsy.com]