Saturday, October 16, 2010

Three (libertarian) amigos




















I'm not a libertarian, but I've discovered a sneaking fondness for some of them--the ones who reject neo-con Iron Heel approaches to problems, and want nothing to do with so-con statism, racism, homophobia and sexism.

I'll never buy the outmoded libertarian notion of the bounded, atomic subject, nor the libertarian fetishizing of private property. The fact that laissez-faire capitalism has its defenders in 2010 is, at least to me, proof of the longevity of myth. But what accompanies these ideological positions is a morality congruent in many places with the morality of the left.

These libertarians believe in the equality of human worth: they reject bigotry in all of its forms. They uphold the quaint notion that the police should be our servants, not our masters. They dislike censorship; even if their absolutism with respect to free speech places them in the Speech Warrior™ camp, they are far more consistent than their colleagues in their application of the principle.

In short, they are decent people, and that goes a long way with me. So I would like to alert my readers to a new site, The Volunteer, run by three friends who have bolted from a swamp called The Shotgun. (The latter has been on my blogroll only because of them.)

Please, then, welcome--and vigorously contest the ideas of--my friends Mike Brock, Terrence Watson and Peter Jaworski in their new redoubt. I wish them good traffic and good discussion.

No comments: