The view from my front porch in Ottawa this morning. Once again, Russia points the way--an echo of its former greatness.
Never mind light rail: for this I'd actually welcome a substantial increase in my municipal taxes.

The view from my front porch in Ottawa this morning. 

The RCMP watchdog who heads up the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP has issued his report on the killing of Robert Dziekanski."No meaningful attempt was made to de-escalate the situation. No warning, visual or otherwise, was given to Mr. Dziekanski prior to him being Tasered by the conducted energy weapon. Use of the conducted energy weapon against Mr. Dziekanski was premature and inappropriate."
His findings, summarized:"The versions of events given to investigators by the four RCMP officers involved in the Vancouver International Airport in-custody death of Robert Dziekanski are not deemed credible by my commission," Kennedy said. [Emphasis added.]

"The vice chief of defence staff, now the chief of defence staff, had issued a statement over 2½ years ago stating that the Afghan in question was not detained, was not captured and was not transferred by the Canadian Forces," Mr. Baird said.
And then, in the sleazy fashion we have come to expect of government ministers these days, he continued:"I hope the member opposite will stand in this place and apologize to the men and women in uniform."
The notes of soldiers on the ground at the time do not bear out Natynczyk. Nor was Richard Colvin's testimony refuted by Los Tres Generales on November 26, as a couple of over-eager partisans asserted at the time. Indeed, one careless bit of reporting in that vein was the subject of a Globe & Mail retraction on December 4. "Ludicrous," indeed.

“Lépine was born Gamil Rodrigue Liass Gharbi, in Montreal, the son of a Canadian nurse and a Algerian-born businessman. Gharbi was a non-practicing Muslim, and Monique Lépine, a former Catholic nun who had rejected organized religion after she left the convent. Their son was baptized a Roman Catholic as an infant, but received no religious instruction during his childhood; his mother described her son as 'a confirmed atheist all his life'.
Also in yesterday’s Gazette, Janet Bagnall, a feminist who sits on the Gazette editorial board and I suspect wrote the editorial, writes in her column:
“Marc Lépine's deadly goal was to punish the ambitious, clever women who had taken what he thought was his rightful place in the world. Many men before him - and many after - have also turned to violence in an effort to impose male primacy.
"The Taliban are today's most notorious example, throwing acid in schoolgirls' faces, firebombing schools that dare teach girls. The men who carry out 'honour killings,' or murder young brides over their dowries are also part of a rearguard action that wants to deny women the right to be equal.
"When we commemorate the 14 young women killed by Lépine that icy cold Dec. 6 in 1989, it is a yearly reminder that the misogyny we associate today with the Taliban erupted in violence here, too, in a civilized, cosmopolitan city in a wealthy country.
"There's never been a satisfactory explanation.”
In the wake of the Fort Hood massacre, there was considerable soul-searching in the U.S. media about politically-correct reporting on the murderer. I don’t have a satisfactory explanation of these horrific multiple murders in Montréal either, but perhaps we would have been closer to one had the mainstream media done a better job reporting on this incident over the years.
(Emphases added so that the reader may more easily follow the dots that Spector and Bagnall helpfully provide.)

I confess I have been rather fascinated by blogosphere and journalistic politicos taking a stab at science over the past fortnight--and I think that metaphor, by the way, is apt.
A little bird tells me that a worthy replacement may have been found for Michaëlle Jean, Governor-General of Canada, now in her last year of office.
Somehow I missed this news item yesterday. Funds to a venerable faith-based overseas charitable institution, Kairos, have been terminated without explanation by the Conservative government, ending a 35-year relationship with the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).In March, Kairos submitted a 2009-2013 program proposal on human rights and ecological sustainability costing $9.2-million. Executive director Mary Corkery said in an interview that CIDA indicated in July that there was no problem with the proposal, that funding would be approved and needed only the minister's signature.
At the end of September, when Kairos's existing contract with CIDA expired and no new one had been signed, Ms. Corkery asked what was happening. She said she was told the minister was busy, and was offered funding for a two-month extension ending Nov. 30.
On the final day of the extension period, Ms. Corkery said that CIDA vice-president Victoria Sutherland called to tell her that all funding would be terminated because Kairos didn't fall within CIDA's priorities.
This will, I assume as planned, devastate the international human rights work in which Kairos has been engaged. The organization has in the past spoken out on global warming, mining operations abroad, aboriginal rights, immigration and international trade.
I reproduce, without comment, this Globe and Mail hed and deck:
Christie Blatchford suffers a major blow to her credibility.
A Supreme Court of Canada ruling today (text here) expanding the definition of Internet luring will, it is claimed, protect more children from Internet predators."There's been a very clear message that in fact this is something that is an offence, and as a result, I would think that there will now be more arrests and prosecutions of adults committing these kind of crimes," he told CTV News Channel.
"If you're an adult and if you're having conversations with a child on the Internet, be warned because even if your conversations aren't sexual and even if your conversations are not for the purpose of meeting a child and committing an offence against a child, what you're doing is potentially a crime," he said. [emphasis added]
In case anyone thinks that Hecht is misrepresenting the contents of the judgement, here are three salient extracts from the latter:
Section 172.1(1)(c) creates an inchoate offence consisting of three elements: (1) an intentional communication by computer; (2) with a person whom the accused knows or believes to be under 14 years of age; (3) for the specific purpose of facilitating the commission of a specified secondary offence with respect to the underage person. The focus of s. 172.1 is on the accused’s intention at the time of communication by computer and that intention must be determined subjectively. While sexually explicit comments may suffice to establish the criminal purpose of the accused, the content of the communication is not necessarily determinative. The offender need not meet or intend to meet the victim with a view to committing any of the specified secondary offences. “Facilitating”, in this context, includes helping to bring about and making easier or more probable.Imagine this scenario, one of many possible ones. You enter a chatroom where the topic is current movies. You discover that "shy14" really is fourteen years of age, by asking her outright. You proceed to have a good discussion about the merits of today's horror films. Just out of interest, you ask her where she lives.
Based upon today's SCC ruling, you are probably guilty of a sex crime against a minor.
Am I the only one who is concerned about this almost infinite scope-widening by the Court, and its potential misuse and abuse by over-zealous police and prosecutors?
...you'd think there'd just been a Mafia firefight.
...when we juxtapose:In one, Linda Garwood-Filbert, the newly arrived leader of a Correctional Service Canada inspections team, asked for better boots in February, 2007, months before the published reports, because she was “walking through blood and fecal matter” on the floor of cells as they toured Afghan prisons.
Corrections Officer Linda Garwood-Filbert today, at the parliamentary committee examining allegations of abuse of transferred Afghan detainees:
A Corrections Canada official who worked as a co-ordinator for prison reform in Afghanistan for two years says she never saw any physical signs that detainees had been abused or tortured.
Linda Garwood-Filbert told a special House of Commons committee investigating Afghan detainee transfers that she visited two prisons and the Afghan National Police headquarters 47 times in 2007.
The visits included 26 interviews of detainees conducted by Corrections Canada, she said Wednesday.
Garwood-Filbert said she would try to substantiate claims of abuse from inmates who recounted what they were told or heard or what had happened to them personally.
“Although I took care to look for them, there were no physical signs of abuse to validate their statements,” Garwood-Filbert said.
RCMP Cpl. Benjamin "Monty" Robinson, the man who Tasered Robert Dziekanski, will not stand trial for DUI after running into and killing a BC motorcyclist with his Jeep in October, 2008.“(The) officer noted her personal observations that the petitioner had a strong odour of liquor on his breath and on his person, that his face was pale, his eyes were bloodshot and his pupils were dilated, and his speech was slurred,” said the judgment by Justice Mark McEwan.
It said Robinson told the officer he had two beers at a party at 5:30 p.m. and then took two shots of vodka after the collision during a 10-minute period in which he left the scene, walked home, and returned.
The officer didn’t believe him, noting “symptoms far more set than two shots in that time period should indicate.”
Robinson was given a 90-day driving prohibition, but he asked for a judicial review of the prohibition because his “evidence” about the vodka shots wasn’t considered.
McEwan dismissed the petition, and commented on the “inherent inconsistency” of Robinson’s statement at the scene, saying the pattern of drinking he described did not seem to account for the blood-alcohol readings.
Robinson, who was off-duty at the time of the incident, faces charges of impaired driving causing death and exceeding the legal limit. He was suspended with pay after the crash.
Those criminal charges were the ones that the BC Ministry of the Attorney-General, overriding the recommendations of the local police, dropped yesterday. Robinson will face but a single charge, "attempting to obstruct justice." A spokesperson for the ministry's criminal justice branch would say only that the charge was due to the "alleged actions" of Cpl. Robinson after the collision.

The Globe and Mail today revealed--if that is the proper word--some further documents on the Afghanistan detainee transfer issue, this time ones that had been submitted to the Military Police Complaints Commission, which has been trying for more than a year to begin an inquiry.