Saturday, June 18, 2005

The theory of unintelligent design

Does anyone else get tired of the endless bleatings about the world coming to an end? You know, all the weeping and hand-wringing from the ones who think a wedding ring on a gay finger means the destruction of civilization, who inhabit a looking-glass planet where Blacks oppress whites and women oppress men, who groove to the mortician vibe of Stephen Harper, and get offended by spirited cartoons on rabble.ca and Dr. Morgentaler's second doctorate.


Here's a newsflash: if the world ends, it will be because of global warming and one-too-many American wars and the increasing gap between rich and poor that is the chief hallmark of globalization. It will be because humanity as a whole is not intelligently designed, has evolved to be more tactical than strategic, more impulsive than reflective, and has sinuses that drain upwards.

Ever wonder why the Right has what Burgundy-lovers call "immediate appeal," while the Left must struggle daily to evoke human empathy and solidarity in people--including themselves? It's unintelligent design, nothing deeper than that. What...you want proof?

  • A very foolish diplomat named Mr. Franco Pillarella was unaware, so he claims, that Syria practises torture. He is now Ambassador to Romania.
  • MRI machines stand idle while waiting lists grow. Why? Because, according to a report by Dr. Anne Keller, asked to look at the situation in Ontario, there "is not optimal business management."
  • A young woman in California faces ten years in prison for watering some marijuana plants.
This is from ONE page of today's Ottawa Citizen. I'm almost afraid to move on to page two, but a kind of heart-breaking surrealist poem is taking shape. Later for that.

One final question: what is it with the "bodacious babes of backlash," as Michele Landsberg used to call them? Must they all be anorexic damaged goods? There's Rachel Marsden, has a gig in the National Post now, which figures--she seems to have outgrown swimming coaches and now finds herself afloat in a brackish sea of well-worn cliches, scooping cupfuls out for the somnambulists who must receive their daily sedative but think they're above the Sun. There's the ridiculous Ann Coulter and her pack of lies. And right here in blogland there's our own Kathy Shaidle, with her mixture of pith Christ and vinegar, mixing it up with the folks over at rabble.ca--sort of--and posting fitful bursts of self-hype between installments of a boring anti-Islam crusade.

In case anyone thinks I'm being sexist (heaven forbid, I'm a well-processed SNAG and I know the secret handshake), let me devote a moment to David Horowitz, FrontPage Magazine editor and writer. You know the guy actually answers e-mails? I'd been moved to send him one, based on some racist comment or other I found in his e-zine, and suddenly there he was, asking what my politics were. There is no simple answer to that question, and we exchanged a few messages. I swear I gave up nothing, but now I get regular requests for money from "the desk of David Horowitz", and I'm allegedly a supporter.


What surprises me is that his style hasn't changed a bit from the good old days when he edited
Ramparts. He still loves the biting polemic and the thrill of the chase. But there's something a little superficial and even dishonest about him these days.

Horowitz is no dummy, even if some of his contributors assuredly are. But even when we're smart, we seem to be programmed to behave in stupid ways and say stupid things. The man is far too bright to believe, for example, that "the Left" really endorses the tenets of radical, homophobic, misogynist, fanatical, mediaeval Islamic extremism as evinced by bin Laden et al. But there he is, pushing the latest demonizing craze with tremendous gusto. Reminds me of the time, way back in the mid-sixties, when a baseball player or coach or something said that anyone who throws a beanball is a "Communist."

Talk about unintelligent design.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Dear "Doctor" (since you're an "immigrant" may I assume you got your degree from some third rate, third world joint, or what? Because you really don't write very well):

Would that I were anorexic. Alas, I am now a not very happy size 14. As for being "damaged goods" -- do tell! What is that supposed to mean, Mr. I'm a Feminist? Hmmm? Like most feminist males, you're really a simpleminded, irrational blowhard who hates women with a passion.

Self-hype: yeah, folks here in the Great White North (and no, that's not a racist, imperialist nickname...)aren't supposed to mention their accomplishments or take pride in the recognition they get -- even on their own blogs! Just because you're a typical leftist anonymous loser on the web, doesn't mean some of us actually have something to brag about.

I was delighted to be sparing with the braindead self-described "queers", bigots and delinquents at Rabble.ca -- the "sort of" comes in because none of those "proud" folks had the balls to actually print the "big secrets" they said they had on me. Like you, they hide behind half-truths and fake names.

If you don't like my blog, stop. Reading. It. You. Weenie!

Dr.Dawg said...

Kathy Shaidle writes:

*****
"Dear "Doctor" (since you're an "immigrant" may I assume you got your degree from some third rate, third world joint, or what? Because you really don't write very well):"
*****

Nothing like being welcomed aboard.:)

But I freely admit it: my very first blog entry contained a mean bit of trolling. Mea culpa, as Kathy would say. I do try to rise above that sort of thing, at least in general. My comments were unnecessarily wounding. That I was provoked by her anti-Muslim stuff (e.g., "News flash: Arabs are violent retards!") is no excuse.

To answer her question, though, at least in part: her assumptions about my education are way off. But since when do degrees have anything to do with writing ability anyway? I once knew an otherwise wonderful professor who claimed that W.B. Yeats would have risen to even greater heights had he had the benefit of a Trinity College education. I've been shaking my head ever since.

I won't get into the implicit racism in her "third world, third rate" comment, although I do point it out. This isn't Usenet.

******
"Would that I were anorexic. Alas, I am now a not very happy size 14. As for being "damaged goods" -- do tell! What is that supposed to mean, Mr. I'm a Feminist? Hmmm? Like most feminist males, you're really a simpleminded, irrational blowhard who hates women with a passion."
******

Did I say I was a feminist? I don't happen to think that men can be feminists, although we can be supportive of feminism. But again, to the main point: my comment was mean-spirited and petty. I think I've been doing better since, and will stick to the issues from now on, or try to.

Jeeze, you've got a mouth on you, though, Kathy.

*****
"Just because you're a typical leftist anonymous loser on the web, doesn't mean some of us actually have something to brag about."
*****

Aw, come on, I'm not that anonymous.

Have a good Canada Day.